Monday, November 18, 2013

How To Improve At Tennis

How To Improve At Tennis

Want to learn how really start seeing improvements in your tennis game?

Sometimes tennis can be a really frustrating game. I remember when I started out, my instructor never really seemed to help me. I'd do the drills, and try to figure out the concepts, but I just kept on losing.

Really it wasn't until I switched instructors that I found out the secrets to really improving my game, well I don't think secrets is really the right word. But my instructor definitely showed me what makes a good player and a bad.

Really the difference is pretty simple, it's all about the focus of your practice and your play. All you need to focus on is three things :

1. When you prepare to hit that ball!

Preperation to hitting or returning a tennis ball is key, how do you want to hit it? What kind of angle do you want? Where should you stand so you can hit it that way? You'll never ever return a ball if you catch yourself out of position, that's why you must locate the ball, and realize how it's going to come twoards you.

2. Hit it!

The next key is pretty simple, how are you going to hit the ball? I found from experience that learning how to put top spin on a ball made a huge difference for me. You need to use step 1 to judge where the ball is coming from so that you can hit the ball correctly. If you hit it too soon you'll hit the net, and too late and the ball may go flying. Learn where and how you want to hit the ball.

3. Follow through

It took me forever to understand why this one was so important. Follow through is key, you need to follow the swing with your whole body, this will give you more control, and a lot more power. I used to always ignore practicing or focusing on this aspect of tennis, but it really changed my game.

There you go! Three things to focus on! Remember, keep it simple, focusing on these 3 steps is key towards getting a good game.

The only other problem I used to face a lot was my serve, I have on here a bit of information about one of my favorite guys who teaches some great techniques towards perfecting your serve. Check out my review on him here: Improve Your Tennis Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment